Thursday 6 November 2014

Review: ELF makeup

Last week I read a blog post about ELF makeup, and after checking out their website http://eyeslipsface.co.uk and seeing their amazing prices I thought I would try them out.

I had a little bit of a spending spree on Saturday, and my package arrived this morning. Luckily Eleanor was fast asleep so I had a chance to test out the products straight away! So here's my thoughts on my purchases:

Flawless Finish Foundation (£7.50)
I have very fair skin so I bought the porcelain shade. Firstly, I loved that the packaging looked quite expensive. I applied it using the foundation brush (an amazing price at £1.95!), I found it felt a little sticky and didn't seem to blend well, but I wonder if my moisturiser acted as some sort of barrier; I will try it again tomorrow. I ended up putting some of my usual powder over the top and that seemed to even things out. I'm still undecided about this product, I'll wear it over the next few days and see how I get on.

Beauty book (£6)
I chose the bronze set of colours as I felt this would go well with my autumn wardrobe. I was surprised at the size of the set, I was hoping for something I could put in my makeup bag, but this really is the size of a book!
I love the colours in the beauty book, and that it comes with a guide of how to create smokey eyes. The book comes with 6 different colours, highlighter, base colour and contour colour, in day and night shades. The set also includes an eyelid primer and eyeliner. The primer works well as a base although it took a little while to dry. I didn't like the eyeliner, it felt cheap and didn't stay very well. But the eye shadows do look great and they create a nice smokey effect, they also stayed on all day. Therefore I still think this is a great product for the price, but I will probably just be using the eye shadows.

Moisturising lipstick (£3.95)
I chose the party in the buff shade as I like neutral colours. Unfortunately I wasn't happy with this product, the colour came out quite peachy on my lips and it didn't seem to stay very well. However, I have heard good reviews about this product, and so it may be that it doesn't suit my skin but suits other people's.

Conditioning lip balm (£3.95).
I read excellent reviews about this product, and I must say this was the best buy of my order. The packaging makes it look more expensive than it is, although it is quite large for the amount of lip balm. The colour (peaceful pnk) is lovely, it looks very bright in the pot, but is paler on. I love the smell of it (reminds me of a chocolate lip balm I had years ago), and the balm itself isn't sticky. I would say it isn't a balm though, it comes out more as a lipstick and probably wouldn't look good on chapped lips, although it might over a clear lip balm such as Vaseline. Definitely a great product.

In summary I was pleased with my first order from ELF, I was amazed at the prices and most of the products appeared more expensive than their price tag. I will definitely be shopping with them again.



No comments:

Post a Comment