Wednesday 3 December 2014

Turning a Dream into a Reality

I've spent a lot of time this morning sat on the sofa cuddling Ellie, thinking about what my dream future would look like. I can see us living on a smallholding (chickens, goats, ducks, maybe some sheep) in rural Dorset with Ellie and her younger brother (or sister!) running around outside whilst hubby is out at work and I sit staring out of my home office, planning for my lecture the next day.

I have been thinking about this dream a lot, particularly becoming a lecturer. My ideal career will be still running my company with licensees working with me, and for the rest of my time to be spent as a University Lecturer preferably at a Southwest University.

So the first step is for me to complete my PhD (aiming for 2018); but along the way I want to gain experience of lecturing. My supervisor has suggested I do a guest lecture on the sociology course next year which would be great.I am also looking at teaching assistant roles at Uni.

Does anyone have any other tips for gaining experience to become a lecturer? I know that jobs after a PhD are limited, how can you make yourself stand out? Would love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment